Friday, July 16, 2010

Can anyone help me with market research problems?

I am starting up an Errand Running business and have sent out 200 questionnaires! 2 have been returned and they aren't interested!! boo hoo What have I done wrong? When I speak to people face to face they think it is a great idea but market research tells me different. Did I supply too much info at once, I had cover letter, list of services, questionnaire and sae. Maybe I am focusing on the wrong market? My questions seemed relevant to helping my business and business plan. I offered 3 prizes if they were returned before a specific date (1 week) £30 restaurant voucher, champagne and box of Thorntons chocs - sounds great but results are rubbish please help me

Can anyone help me with market research problems?
Hi Susan.


Where did you send the questionnaires?


It sounds as if you were focusing on the wrong market.


Maybe a flyer may have been more useful and far cheaper.


Flyers can be printed quite cheaply and for a small fee will be delivered with the free papers we all seem to get.


Or maybe an advert in one of these free papers to start with.


Hope this helps.


(Must have cost you a fortune for 200 stamps!! I imagine 198 people probably steamed the stamp off your envelopes!!
Reply:Hi Susan....sorry but who has time for such crap? No offence but I am running a small business...trying to juggle projects, keep things moving forward...how can I sit around answering questions? If someone calls me..."have you time for a very short questionaire"? NO! I say......only retired people have excess time (no offence intended to the retired) everyone else is pushed: just offer your service and start! Do the first job free maybe -that will definately get notced. My brother runs a car bodywork business. To get a big contract (eg with a local firm that has a fleet of cars) he offers to do the first job free....believe me people sit up and listen when you offer something...you on the other hand, are asking for something: time... a questionaire?...£30? -who cares about that when rent is £400 etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment