Thursday, August 19, 2010

[Job Hunting] I spend a lot of time for Organizing/ Market Research etc, Do people do this too?

So I am job searching for trading company. I am business major.





Many of my friends go to Job fair and turn their resumes to hundreds of different companies, some trading company, some not. They also send their resumes to companies by emails.





I do that too, but less than 20 companies while my friends sent already 100. While my friends sending resumes, I spend a lot of time for organizing my thought for job/career, research job possibilities, salary research in several states etc. I do a lot of research. WHICH takes a lot of time...





Friends say that I shoud sending more resumes to companies instead of researching. They are NOT wrong, but I want to be able to make my career foundation nicely before getting an job offer. I want to be able to see where exactly I stand. I want to make sure what exactly I need. Instead of getting anything I am offered. So I won't be regret.





Did you spend lots of time for searching? Or did you just send your resumes to tons of companies?

[Job Hunting] I spend a lot of time for Organizing/ Market Research etc, Do people do this too?
103 resumes, 26 interviews, 2 offers.


One job that I love.
Reply:I spent more time researching. On average I am sending out about 10 resumes a week, but I have made sure that I have researched the companies, and changed my cover letter to use their keywords. The point is that you need to target your cover letter and resume to each different job.





I find I do get more interviews when I have targeted my cover letter and resume. In fact I just had an interview this morning, not 3 hours ago. I got it because I targeted my resume and letter to their requirements. I have already been invited back for a second interview next week. This job is one that I really want.





If your friends go out and hand out the exact same resume to 100 different companies, the resumes get dumped in the trash because they are just "cookie cutter" resumes, they all look the same. They have not been targeted to each different company and they do not show the exact requirements that the company is asking for.


No comments:

Post a Comment